What do Cashiers do?
Receive and disburse money in establishments other than financial institutions. May use electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. May process credit or debit card transactions and validate checks.
- Receive payment by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers, or automatic debits.
- Issue receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customers.
- Assist customers by providing information and resolving their complaints.
- Establish or identify prices of goods, services or admission, and tabulate bills using calculators, cash registers, or optical price scanners.
- Greet customers entering establishments.
- Answer customers' questions, and provide information on procedures or policies.
- Sell tickets and other items to customers.
- Process merchandise returns and exchanges.
- Maintain clean and orderly checkout areas and complete other general cleaning duties, such as mopping floors and emptying trash cans.
- Stock shelves, and mark prices on shelves and items.
- Request information or assistance using paging systems.
- Count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
- Calculate total payments received during a time period, and reconcile this with total sales.
- Monitor checkout stations to ensure that they have adequate cash available and that they are staffed appropriately.
- Assist with duties in other areas of the store, such as monitoring fitting rooms or bagging and carrying out customers' items.
- Sort, count, and wrap currency and coins.
- Supervise others and provide on-the-job training.
- Bag, box, wrap, or gift-wrap merchandise, and prepare packages for shipment.
- Compute and record totals of transactions.
- Compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records.
- Post charges against guests' or patients' accounts.
- Offer customers carry-out service at the completion of transactions.
- Weigh items sold by weight to determine prices.
- Issue trading stamps, and redeem food stamps and coupons.
- Keep periodic balance sheets of amounts and numbers of transactions.
- Cash checks for customers.
- Pay company bills by cash, vouchers, or checks.
Related Jobs (Cashiers)